This Pumpkin & Fig Salad is SCARY GOOD
Your Halloween party is about to get so much better with this rich, seasonal salad filled with delicious culinary treats. This exquisite dish will bring a touch of class to your Halloween celebrations bringing together a sophisticated blend of the warm, earthy flavours of Autumn. The candied taste of fresh figs with the tender, mellow notes of roast pumpkin, makes for a perfect combination to impress your house guests.
This versatile dish is perfect for a light lunch or as a tasteful starter. Serves 4-5.
- 300g pumpkin (can also use sweet potato or squash)
- 150g arugula & lambs lettuce (or your greens of choice)
- 75g feta cheese or vegan cheese
- 60g walnuts
- 5 or 6 figs cut in quarters
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil with Lemon by Nicolas Vahé (or any other extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar by Nicolas Vahé (or any other balsamic vinegar)
- Salt & pepper to taste (we used this one which already has some delicious spices)
STEP BY STEP
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
Scrape out the seeds and fibres of the pumpkin with a spoon (you can discard or roast them for a nutritious snack!)
- Peel and chop the pumpkin into 1cm cubes.
Prepare an oven tray with a baking sheet and spread the chopped pumpkin onto the tray.
Season with Olive Oil, Salt and pepper (if you are using seasoned salt like us you don’t need to add the pepper) and bake in the oven for about 20 min or until the pumpkin is soft.
While the pumpkin bakes, prepare the toppings of your salad: chop the figs into quarters, roughly chop the walnuts and crumble the feta into a bowl.
- Once the pumpkin is cooked, take it out and leave to cool for a few minutes.*
Make the dressing: In a small bowl or dressing bottle, combine the Olive Oil, Salt and Balsamic Vinegar.
In a large Salad Bowl** lay a bed of arugula and lambs lettuce and top with pumpkin, figs, walnuts and a sprinkle of feta.
- Pour the dressing over the salad.
Enjoy your Spooky Pumpkin Salad!
* If you’re preparing to consume later, we recommend cooling the pumpkin completely before layering on the salad so it doesn’t wilt.
** We recommend a large, flat serving dish. This way the dressing covers more of the salad and you don’t have to toss before serving.
Products used in this recipe: